At Diamond Civil, we pride ourselves on quality workmanship.
We provide the highest quality work, with a focus on clear communication with our clients to ensure that the customer’s requirements and expectations are exceeded.
We make no compromises on safety and quality and our well maintained plant and equipment assists in ensuring this is achievable.
We specialise in the installation of underground network infrastructure but we also carry out siteworks, earthmoving, site preparation, foundations, driveways etc. Have a look at our gallery to see some of the jobs we have done.
Diamond Civil came about from the new ownership of the well established business, Diamond Services.
In late 2008, an opportunity was identified to merge the electricity network experience of Diamond Services with the telecommunications and business experience of the new owner.
Key Staff Attributes
Ian Wood, Managing Director
30 years experience in the Telecommunications, Civil and Electricity industries in Wellington, with extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of Telco outside plant work, specialising in fibre optic network design and construction, in both the Rail and Road reserve environment, plus business, contract, finance and project management experience in the Telecommunications and Electrical Network industries.
Andrew Saxby, HSE Manager
30 years experience in the Telco Underground industry, with 28 years at KiwiRail, starting as a Telecommunications Field Technician, working up to the position of Network Project Coordinator, Central Region. Andrew has brought his many years of experience working in a highly regulated and dangerous environment to Diamond Civil, where he looks after all aspects of Health, Safety and Environmental, including personnel and fleet management.
Existing Major Customers
- Kiwirail Networks
- Invensys Rail Australia
- Online Communications
- FX Networks
- Downer NZ
- Memorial Park Alliance
- Tyco Traffic
- Invensys Rail, Australia- Civil works and cable hauling for Wellington Rail Yard, Distant Junction project. This included installation of backbone and local signalling cables, installation of signals and bases, trenching and laying of ducts, construction of a building foundation, and installation of manholes for new installations and over existing services.
- Installation of duct and fibre optic cable to 16 railway stations around the greater Wellington region for Vocus Communications (formerly FX Networks)
- Installation of undergound power, telco and gas ducts in Victoria St in the Wellington CBD, for the Victoria St Upgrade project. This work was for thr Memorial Park Alliance.
- Ontrack Infrastructure- 450m of trenching and installation of 6 way ductline in the Wgtn Rail yard, plus assorted installation of ducts under railway lines, including one 30 way duct line beneath the three main lines into Wellington.
- Fletcher Higgins Joint Venture- Street lighting and power cable trenching and hauling for Dowse to Petone upgrade project on SH2.
- Northpower- Ongoing maintenance work on the underground power distribution network- mainly installation of underground cabling and berm substations.
- Ontrack Infrastructure- installation of 150m of 6 way duct line and manholes in the most congested part of Wellington rail yard.
- Ontrack Infrastructure- cable locates, markouts and protection. Cable hauling and maintenance. Minor telecommunications and signals network construction projects.
- Invensys Rail Australia- Installation of signal bases, cable pits and all associated civil works for installation of the new signalling system on the double tracking project between. Mackays Crossing and Waikanae. Also installation of 17km of backbone power cable and installation and jointing of 17km of fibre optic cable and construction of a concrete foundation for a Portacom building and 10ft container for the stand-by generator set.
- Kiwirail NSJ project. Install temporary ducting and cables throughout NSJ section (attached to railway tunnel roofs). Decommissioning of temporary services once permanent network in place- also included repairing substandard work completed by other contractors.
- Excavation, hauling, jointing and testing on the Ultrafast Broadband project. Subcontracted to Downer Engineering.
- Installation of pits and ducting, plus cable hauling, splicing and testing of fibre optic cable for Kiwirail CTC Upgrade project between TeHoro and Longburn.
Plant, equipment and resources
We have well maintained plant and equipment. Our major plant items are ;
- 5.5T excavator on rubber tracks
- 7T excavator on steel tracks
- 3T excavator on rubber tracks
- 1.5T excavator on rubber tracks
- 6T site dumper
- 2x 10 yard tip trucks
- 5T, 6T and 8T tip trucks
- 4WD Hiab truck
- Hydroexcavation unit
- 4x vans (3 of them 4WD)
- Cable jinker
- Cable hauling equipment
- Fibre optic jointing and testing equipment
- Compactors, cut-off saws, traffic management etc
- Concrete core drill and concrete cutting equipment
- Established connections for hire equipment of all types
- Access to additional skilled staff